Address: No. 117, Renming Road (west), Chengguan Town, Xinchang County, Zhejiang Province
Summer Time: 16th Apr. — 7th Oct. 5:30-17:30 Winter Time: 8th Oct.—15th Apr. 6:00-17:00
According to the historical records......+More details
Condor Shooting Village is known f......+More details
Fossil Woods Forest is known as a ......+More details
Shuanglin Grotto, also known as “Re......+More details
Huayan Nunnery, built by Miao Zhi t......+More details
With a height of 30 meters (his hea......+More details
Arhat cave was formerly called “Cro......+More details
Buddhist Cultural Wall is 36 meters......+More details
Buddha Heart Square is famous for c......+More details
Qiguang Temple, built by Zhi Dun, a......+More details
Prajna is a word used in Sanskrit, ......+More details
Grand Buddha Temple, also known as ......+More details
This Pagoda was built in commemorat......+More details
Free Life Pond, formerly known as ......+More details
On the memorial arch are four larg......+More details
Cave Statue of Maitreya was excavat......+More details
New Mahavira Hall, built in 1994, c......+More details
Completed in 1999, Great Compassi......+More details
Thousand Buddha Temple+More details
Town God Temple was initially cons......+More details
Cliff Inscriptions are virtually m......+More details
This Stupa was built in 1994 in......+More details
New Union was firstly founded by Zh......+More details
According to the historical records, Liu Changqing (famous poet in Tang Dynasty) once built Bi Jian Villa along White Cloud Lake lying at the foot of Stone Town. White Cloud Lake became famous for a line written by Liu: “who comes to white cloud when we share no sympathy in each other?”. Made up of Buddha Karma Bridge, Buddha Enlightening Bridge, White Cloud Bridge, Blue Sky Pavilion, White Cloud Pavilion, White Cloud Square, Camphor Square, White Cloud Lake, with greening rate of 90%, covers an area of 2.6 thousand square meters.
Condor Shooting Village is known for Legend of Condor Heroes, a TV series shot here. As one of the shooting bases for CCTV, hundreds of works such as Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, The Phoenix seeks a Mate and Lotus Lantern were filmed here. In this scene, there are many interesting spots including Niujia village, Qusan Wineshop, Maple Woods Inn, Antie Ying’s Yard, Guo and Yang’s Yard, Watermill, Eight Diagrams Study, Xima Xiangru Maison, Wenjun Wineshop…
Fossil Woods Forest is known as a grand collection of 7 kinds of fossil woods unique in Xinchang, that is, more than 30 trees, the highest of which soars to 14 meters. With an age of 70 million to 200 million, these fossil woods are regarded as important materials on studying climate, crust movements and bio-history in ancient times in East China and also functions as an ideal place for popular science education where youth are able to take a closer and careful observation of these rare and valuable trees. (Also known as “longevity stones”, Fossil woods belongs to araucaria and was initially originated from pines, cypress and firs in primordial forest.)
Shuanglin Grotto, also known as “Reclining Buddha Temple” was completed and opened to the public at the beginning of the year 2007. Reclining Buddha inside the temple, with a length of 37 meters and a height of 99 meters, is lying towards the west, vividly displaying the serene, peaceful, wise and fulfilled scene when Sakyamuni got his Nirvana under the sala tree. Therefore, the statue of Buddha is regarded as the prominent example of contemporary grotto arts and reputed as “the Greatest Reclining Buddha in Asia”.
Huayan Nunnery, built by Miao Zhi the Nun in 1992, relocated into the secluded valley between Crouching Tiger Cliff and Elephant Trunk Mountain due to the transformation of the old city in 1994. Huayan Nunnery was exquisitely built along the mountains with yellow walls and dark grey roofs. Listening to the beautiful sound of the dancing bamboos, you may find landscape around the Nunnery calm and peaceful.
With a height of 30 meters (his head covers 10 meters), Outdoor Maitreya can be praised as the perfect combination of a natural mountain and a man-made head. The Buddha, with the blue sky above, is grinning happily, charmingly naive. The mountain is like a statue of Buddha, while the Buddha is like a mountain, therefore this spot is also called “Holy Buddha Mountain”.
Arhat cave was formerly called “Crouching Tiger Cave”. Stone arch was built here during Qian Long Period of Qing Dyansty (1787), unfortunately deserted today. Drawing inspirations from the allusion Five Hundred Arhats Worshipping Guanyin, the Cave was transformed into a world of five hundred arhats who were all floating across the ocean. These figures were clayed and colored, vividly displaying various gestures, which is rarely seen in
Buddhist Cultural Wall is 36 meters in length and 5 meters in height. Centered on the religious assembly of West Paradise of “the Giant Buddha in the south of the Yangtze River”, Buddha Cultural Wall displays, from left to right, the Buddhist cultural revolution of Grand Buddha during more than 1600 years: one rising period, one peak, four decaying periods and four prosperous periods.
Buddha Heart Square is famous for carved letters “Fo” (Buddha) by Master Hong Yi and “Xin” (heart), especially the letter “Fo” is 20 meters tall and 13.5 meters wide. Master Hui Neng once said “I myself can become Buddha when he is inside my heart, Buddha cannot be found anywhere if there is no Buddha in your heart”. Poem Stone Town Temple written by Li Bai was carved in the Old Well Pavilion and Poem Worshipping Stone Town City of Tan County in the Twelfth Month of the Lunar Year written by Meng Haoran was carved on the screen wall of the Square.
Qiguang Temple, built by Zhi Dun, an eminent monk in Eastern Jin Dynasty in his old age, shares the same reputation with Stone Town Temple (Grand Buddha Temple) and Yuanhua Temple (Thousand Buddha Temple). Zhi Dun, the builder is also the creator of Jise Sect which is one of the Six Schools and Seven Sects in Prajna in Eastern Jin Dynasty, the Father of “Taste Zen in Tea” and one of the founders who Chinesized Buddhism. Reconstructed in 2008, Qiguang Temple became an architectural complex including the Hall of Heavenly King, the Hall of Three Buddha, the Hall of ksitigarbha, the Drum Tower, Sutra Depository, Lecture Hall, Juehai Hall, “Taste Zen in Tea ” Chamber, Master Zhi Dun’s Tower, Master Wu Dao’s Stupa, Qiguang Pagoda and other wing rooms.
Prajna is a word used in Sanskrit, implying the wisdom of Buddha. Prajna Valley, originally a underground quarry in Qing Dynasty, today centers on Prajna Culture, exhibiting the profound history of Chinesized Buddhism by the means of line carving, cameo and colored painting and manifesting the importance of Xinchang in the development of Prajna. Prajna Valley, first completed and opened to the public in 2002, is an outstanding example of exploiting and utilizing abandoned mines in
Grand Buddha Temple, also known as “Temple Hidden in Mountains” was initially built in 345 AD. Combined with Yuanhua Temple, Qiguang Temple, Grand Buddha Temple made up of Stone Town Temple in the middle of Liang Tianjian Period. The Temple has a long history of more than 1600 years during which its named has been changed into Ruixiang Temple in Wu and Yue Period, Baoxiang Temple at the beginning of the Song Dynasty and eventually Grand Buddha Temple at the end of the Qing Dynasty. In 1983, the temple has been announced to be one of the key open temples in
Free Life Pond, formerly known as Jiaxi Pond, was converted by Bao Guang the monk during Guangxu Period (1875-1908) at the end of Qing Dynasty. Dredged in Republican Period, the Pond was used to set fishes free for worshippers. Carved into the Cliff by the Pond are three names of Buddha: Bodhisattva of freedom, Namo Amita Buddha and Manjusri Bodhisattva, noted as “Three Sages of Western World”.
On the memorial arch are four large letters “Shi Cheng Gu Cha” (Ancient Temple in Stone Town) written by famous calligrapher Sha Menghai. The pair of couplet written on the stone pillars in Song Dynasty was composed by Chen Shan (an revolutionary veteran cadre in Xinchang, famous poet) and inscribed by Professor Su Juxian from East China Normal University. This pair of couplet shows the profound and arduous history of carving statues of Buddha out of Mountains in Grand Buddha Temple and highly summarizes the origin, importance and influences of Buddhism in Stone Town.
Cave Statue of Maitreya was excavated for almost 30 years by Monk Hu, Monk Shu and Monk You of three generations, and eventually completed in Yongming Period (486-516) of Country Qi in the Northern and Southern Dynasties. Noted as the “Miracle of Three Monks”, the statue is regarded as the oldest extant Cave Buddha in the world due to its profound history of more than 15 years. Cave Statue of Maitreya reaches 16 meters high with a head of 4.8 meters, each ear of 2.8 meters and two knees of 10.6 meters apart. With legs in lotus position and hands in dhyana mudra gesture, the exquisite statue of Maitreya becomes only remaining relics of the early period of grotto art in southern region of the Yangtze River. Famous literary critic Liu Miao in the Southern Dynasty once gave high praise to this “the Giant Buddha in the south of the Yangtze River”: invaluable Treasure, incomparable karma. Now Cave Statue of Maitreya becomes one of the Important Historical Monuments under Special Preservation.
New Mahavira Hall, built in 1994, covers an area of 588 square meters. Facing the South, the Hall looks magnificent and lofty with gable and hip roof with multiple eaves. The hall is dedicated to “Horizontal III Buddha”: Medicine Guru Buddha from Oriental Pure Land; Sakyamuni Buddha from Sava Universe; Amita Buddha from Sukhavati (Western Paradise) At the Back of III Buddha stands Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva (Bodhisattva with 1000 hands and 1000 eyes) carved from camphor wood. New Mahavira Hall functions as the main venue for worshiping and performing Buddhist ceremonies.
Completed in 1999, Great Compassion Monastery covers an area of 961 square meters. The Monastery is dedicated to Avalokitesvara (Guanyin Bodhisattva), including many worshiping halls such as Great Compassion Chamber, Avatamsaka Realm, Revealing Pavilion, Grand Master Hall and Chanting Chamber. Great Compassion Chamber acts as the main shrine, exquisite and magnificent, consecrating the statue of Free Guanyin at the first floor and Thousand-hand and Thousand-eye Bodhisattva and his Nirmanakaya (response bodies). In front of the Chamber stands a brick-carved screen wall displaying the scene of Eighteen Arhats worshipping Guanyin. The screen wall, with 16.2 meters long and 5.8 meters tall, is ingeniously designed to make every figure vividly portrayed, fully showing its class and charm.
Thousand Buddha Temple, formerly known as Yuan Hua Temple, was founded in Eastern Jin Dynasty by two eminent monks named Yu Falan and Yu Fakai. During the third year of Yongming Period in Southern Qi Dynasty, more than a thousand little statue of Buddha were excavated, therefore gave the temple its name “Thousand Buddha Temple”. The Temple has two caves adjacent to each other. The large cave is about 17.95 meters wide, 10.3 meters deep and 7 meters tall, containing 1040 statues of Buddha and the small one is about 6.55 meters wide, 4.25 meters deep and 6 meters tall, containing 35 statues of Buddha. Damaged but rare, these statues of Buddha were primarily created in artistic styles of Southern Dynasty, therefore are regarded as Important Historical Monuments under Special Preservation like Cave Statue of Maitreya and included into Encyclopedia of
Town God Temple was initially constructed in Song Dynasty and had been renovated for many times in Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties. At the end of 1986, the Temple was formally relocated from the West Gate of the town. On the North-South axis of Town God Temple, buildings are arranged in order: Mountain Gate, Performing Stage, Front Hall and Rear Hall, among which Mountain Gate and Front Hall were built in styles of Qing dynasty. According to relevant records and physical identification, Performing Stage, rarely seen in the Southern area of the Yangtze River, belongs to architectures in Qing dynasty. With vast of historical relics of Xinchang displayed, Town God Temple is considered to be of great archaeological value.
Cliff Inscriptions are virtually made along the history by eminent and dedicated people visiting Grand Buddha Temple, among which “Meditate Wall” was written by Mi Fu, alternatively called “Haiyue Waishi”, is a famous calligrapher and painter in Northern Song Dynasty, noted for his bold but steady and elegant calligraphy. “Lai Gong Dian” (Enlightening Together) includes three letters with profound meaning. “Shao You Dong Tian” (unique but hidden spots) was letters written by calligrapher Mao Yupei from Fengtian (today known as Shenyang Province).
This Stupa was built in 1994 in commemoration of Tan Guang, the founder of Grand Buddha Temple. Tan Guang (226 —396 ), eminent monk from Kun Shan in the Eastern Jin Dynasty, studied Zen from an early age, therefore was reputed as “the Father of Practicing Zen” in Zhejiang Province in General Records of Zhejiang. Tan Guang stayed permanently in Stone Town Temple for 53 years,and passed away at the age of 110.
New Union was firstly founded by Zhang Zaiyang (Governor of Zhejiang Province from Year 11-13 in the Republic of China) in 1925. With the fund of Fellow Villager Union of Zhejiang and Hangzhou, he established a gathering place called New Union. Surrounded by dense trees, this place looks calm and peaceful. Using rapid cursive style of writing, Master Hong Yi inscribed four letters “Tian Ran Xian Jing” (Natural Wonderland). On the plaques on each side of the place was a pair peculiar couplet written by famous calligrapher Shen Ding’an.